This was an interesting project.
A gentleman contacted me and asked if I could make some parts for a Windsor chair. It has three broken spindles and the four legs had been shortened and where in poor condition, they also did not match very well.
I turned up the parts using a recently made centre steady. I returned them to the client and he was very happy with them. I asked him to send me a picture of the completed opus. I think you will agree that it is a very good restoration project.
Remember that I am available for commissions of all types of turning.
I collected some green oak posts for my brother Keith last week. Having coped the tops and cut them to length we had some offcuts which Keith kindly gave to me.
I took these pieces of timber back and it was not long before I realised that they were in the way as there is not "Mushroom" in the shop. Sitting outside with the missus and a beer last night I noticed that our garden mushrooms where getting past there sell by date, well spalted and with fungus sprouting from them.
This gave me the idea to turn a couple of new ones from my new aquisitions. The timber proved perfect for the task with nice radial cracks and six inches in diameter. They turned well and look just the ticket with a couple of coats of teak oil.
I have some more pieces to pick up and I think I will make a couple more. Maybe my bro would like one to match his new gate posts.
I am delighted to have been invited by Wycombe Museum to demonstrate at their Chilterns' Traditional Arts and Crafts Day as part of the Wycombe Arts festival.
I will be taking a small lathe and demonstrating how to turn some small Items and promoting woodturning and the Middlesex Woodturning Association.
It promises to be a good day so why not come along and bring a picnic which you can enjoy in the museum grounds.
Entry to the event and the museum is free.
The details are below from the wycombe museum website:
Chilterns' Traditional Arts and Crafts
Sun 4 Jun 2017,
12:00PM - 5:00PM
As part of Wycombe Arts Festival, join us for an afternoon celebrating some traditional crafts of the Chilterns and see the skills of some local crafts people at work.
Demonstrations will include:
This event is free to enter and not ticketed.
Back to work on my two burned bowls.
The Holm Oak bowl was remounted on the lathe and the bowl hollowed out and sanded.
I treated the hollow with cellulose sanding sealer and knocked it back with some very fine webrax abrasive and gave it a coat of microcrystalline wax.
Next I reversed the bowl onto a jam chuck and held it in place with a live ring centre inthe tailstock. I finished shaping the bottom of the bowl, rounding the base to give me a "wobble bowl"
This left a small nub in the centre where the ring centre had held it. I cut this away with a chisel and hand sanded the base.
I charred the remaining area and wire brushed it with a bronze brush. This section was then given a generous coat of boot polish.
Having left this to dry I buffed it up and gave the whole piece a coat of microcrystalline wax, after 20 minutes I buffed it up to a nice sheen.
The Eucalyptus bowl was remounted and the center turned out.
I decided that a different approach was required with this bowl. I sanded off the scorched area to reveal more of the wood beneath. I also sanded the centre.
I then gave the cracks a good blow out with the air line.
I gave both the centre, the rim and outside a good coat of sanding sealer, making sure to get a good coat into the scorched cracks which of course had not been sanded.
Next I finished turning the outside in the same manner as for the holm oak bowl. Having scorched the outside I blew out the cracks and gave the whole thing a coat of sanding sealer.
I let the sealer dry for a half hour and gave the bowl two coats of microcrystalline and buffed it up into a nice gloss finish.
I now have two nice bowls which will find their way to the club competition table and probably on to my Etsy shop.
I will post more pictures of these bowls on my facebook page:
I have started to make two bowls. One is a very nice piece of Holm Oak (Quercus Ilex) or Holly Oak the second is a heavily cracked piece of Eucalyptus.
I have turned the outsides and rims of the bowls, leaving the chucking tenon on so I can re-mount them on the lathe but I have not hollowed them out at this stage.
The burned sections have been treated with boot polish to enhance the black appearance and to give them a sheen.
I will post an article when I have them completed.